Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Act I, Hedda Gabler

Well, I thought it was pretty cool, to say the least. I do, however, have one minor qualm about
Hedda's husband, Tesman. I, personally, cannot stand people like him-he's so simple and
practically empty-minded. It really curls my eyelashes! How, do you ask, do I see this?
Sheesh! Let me start at the beginning. His clothing isn't neat, and he shows up carrying an empty suitcase. Hmmmm.... Gee, I wonder what that could represent? Perhaps his mind, or
how he just seems to lack the ability to take a hint, eh? Imagine that! Here he is having a
conversation with his aunt about any "expectations" (aka a bun in the oven) that Hedda
may be having. Tesman have a sex life? Imagine that! To me, he seems too dim to even take to flirtations! Hedda, on the other hand, repeatedly denies the very suggestion of her pregnancy.
Gee... I think that she's in denial of her capabilities as a mother-she's unwilling to sacrifice the spotlight and become utterly devoted to another human being.

No comments: