Monday, February 2, 2009

First impressions/goodbye Johnny

Back when I was working with Donne's poems, I found myself unable to formulate a strong like or dislike for him. On one hand, its certainly impressive how he's able to maintain structure and rhyme, as was the definition of a poet in his day, while manipulating diction and imagery in order to emphasize his message. On the other hand, I was frustrated with his use of imagery-the whole metaphysical (beyond physical) style- just seemed so intangible and difficult to grasp or visualize in a normal situation. Though I don't care much for poetry, Icertainly admire the techniques of poets-this became especially evident when moving on to Heaney. I adore the way he makes his conflicting patriotism clear through his manipulation of extended metaphors and imagery appealing to all senses. On top of that, the imagery he produces is completely tangible- In other words, I'm able to feel the fermented berries or stand in the eye of the storm on the island. Anyway... On to the commentary I should have started

No comments: